In an abundance of caution to protect our employees, volunteers, and patrons, the Florida Historical Society is closing to the public from Saturday, March 14, through Saturday, April 4, 2020, the Library of Florida History, The Brevard Museum of History and Natural Science, and the Rossetter House Museum and Gardens.

All FHS Administrative and Business offices will remain open and operational during this period.

The Florida Historical Society Caribbean Conference Cruise, scheduled for May 16-23; the Zora in Brevard event on March 28, and the Easter Egg Hunt on April 11 at the Rossetter House Museum and Gardens have been cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Rossetter History

The Rossetter family, James, Ella and their daughters, Caroline and Ella, arrived in Eau Gallie, Florida in 1902. In 1904, James Wadsworth Rossetter purchased the property on which the current configuration of Rossetter House now stands. The Rossetter House is restored as it stood in 1908. The property was first settled by Eau Gallie pioneer John Houston and his family in 1859. 

James and Ella Rossetter eventually had three more children named James, Appleton, and Charles. The home stayed in the family and became the residence of only Caroline and Ella who lived there until they passed.

Before passing, Caroline and Ella Rossetter donated their family home and collection of Victorian antiques to the Rossetter House Foundation to preserve the home and contents as a monument to Eau Gallie's past. The property is owned by the Rossetter House Foundation and managed by the Florida Historical Society. 

To learn more history about this beautiful home, the Rossetter family, and the town of Eau Gallie come by for a guided tour. Times are located on the welcome page.

Ella (left) and Carrie (right) with their gardener and handyman Archie Philips.